Thai Cooking Basics
By Darlene Schmidt, About.com Guide
Thai Food Ingredients
Once you're familiar with the basic ingredients of Thai cuisine, you'll be able to cook dozens of tantalizing Thai recipes without a hitch. While some Thai food ingredients are familiar, others are strangely exotic and require a closer look. Find out more about these ingredients, including what they look like, and where you can purchase them. Also, learn about common Thai fruit and how to prepare them, including fresh papaya, mango, pineapple, mangosteen, and more!
- Thai Ingredients Glossary
- Lemongrass - How to Prepare and Cook with Fresh Lemongrass
- Lime Leaves (also known as Kaffir Lime Leaves)
- Fish Sauce - A Key Ingredient in Thai Cooking
- Golden Mountain Sauce - A Thai Secret Ingredient
- Chili Sauce - Different Types of Chili Sauce + How to Use it
- Sticky Rice and How to Cook It
- Thai Hot Chili Peppers
- Thai Fruit - How to Prepare Various Thai Fruit, Plus Buying Tips!
- Tofu - How to Cook with Tofu
- Palm Sugar & Coconut Sugar
- Shopping for Thai Ingredients at an Asian Food Store/Market
Find out what you will need to create wonderful Thai dishes. Plus, learn some nifty cooking techniques that will make your Thai food look and taste truly authentic!
- The Thai Kitchen: Cooking with a Wok
- How to Cook with Banana Leaf
- How to Make Banana Leaf Boats for Cooking or Serving
- How to Cook with a Clay Pot
Thai Cooking Tips
Learn a few savvy cooking tips that will make your Thai cooking extra easy - and extra delicious too!
Menu Planning: Staying in / Dining Out
Whether you're planning to cook up a Thai dinner party for your friends, or need some advice on dining out, you'll want to check out these useful articles. Includes menus for special occasions such as Oscar night or Valentine's Day, as well as barbecue/cookout ideas. So go ahead - get inspired, and then get eating!
- Thai Recipes Photo Gallery - Decide What to Make!
- Top Thai Appetizers & Party Foods
- Throwing a Thai Dinner Party
- Dining Out the Thai Way
- Setting the Table - AND the Mood!
- Creating a Truly Thai Atmosphere
- A Thai Barbecue Party: Menu Planner
- Barbecue Recipes Photo Gallery - Choose Your Favorite!
- Creating a Thai Centerpiece for Your Table
- Is Thai Food Good for You?
- What to Drink? Serve this Exotically-Thai Cocktail!
- The Food of Love: Valentine's Day Menu
- Celebrate the Stars in Your Life! - Planning a Thai Dinner Party
- Creating Thai Chili Flowers
Thai Food & Culture
Find out a little more about Thai food and how it relates to Thai culture. Also, take a "culinary tour" and learn about how Thai cooking varies from region to region.
- Thai Food & Culture
- A Culinary Tour of Thailand: Thai Cooking According to Region
- Thai Food & Travel - Plan Your Trip to Thailand with Great Food in Mind!
- Tantalizing Thai Food - an Introduction to Thai Cuisine
Thai Cookbooks & Resources
Discover the right Thai cookbook for you (or as a gift for a friend)! Plus find other resources such as cookware shopping links, buying curry pastes, etc...
- Cookbook Review: "Simply Thai Cooking"
- Cookbook Review: "The Best of Regional Thai Cuisine" by Chat Mingkwan
- Cookbook Review: "Thai Home Cooking" by Robert Carmack & Sompon Nabnian