Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 12 oz dried flat rice noodles (also called "Rice Stick")
- 8-12 tiger prawns, fresh or thawed if using frozen
- 3 shallots, sliced
- 2 fresh green chillies
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup snow peas, ends removed
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- ¼ cup ground or finely chopped peanuts (unsalted)
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 cup fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 3 Tbsp peanut, coconut, or other vegetable oil for frying
- 1/2 tsp. shrimp paste
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- 2 Tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp. tamarind paste mixed with ½ cup water
- 3 Tbsp tomato ketchup
2. Mix all sauce ingredients together in a cup. Set aside.
3. Place remaining oil in wok. Over medium-high heat, stir-fry shallots and chillies until fragrant (about 1 minute).
4. Add prawns and fry until pink (1-2 minutes).
5. Add snow peas and stir-fry another minute until bright green.
6. Clear a space in the center of the wok. Crack eggs into it and stir-fry until cooked.
7. Add noodles and sauce, then stir-fry, lifting and turning the noodles to combine all ingredients (1-2 minutes).
8. Taste for saltiness. If not salty enough, add up to 2 Tbsp. fish or soy sauce.
9. Take off the heat and add bean sprouts, mixing well to combine (note that bean sprouts should retain some of their crunchiness).
10. To serve, place noodles on a platter. Sprinkle with spring onions, ground nuts, and coriander. Place wedges of fresh lime on the side. For those who like it hot, serve with a bottle of sambal (red chilli sauce).