Pad See Ew is a Thai noodle dish that is made with broad, flat rice noodles, also known as "river noodles". Pad See Ew can be made with chicken, pork, or beef, but otherwise has the same basic ingredients. This noodle dish is truly Asian comfort food at its best; at the same time, Thai river noodles make a healthy and energy-giving lunch or dinner. This Pad See Ew recipe features marinated strips of beef and still-crisp broccoli for a nutritionally complete and oh-so-satisfying meal. ENJOY!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Total Time: 32 minutes
Yield: SERVES 3-4
- 2 lbs. fresh broad flat rice noodles (908 g.), available in the deli section or refrigerator of Asian food stores
- 1 egg
- 1-2 heads broccoli, chopped into florets
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 sirloin beef steak, sliced thinly into strips (OR equivalent)
- 2 Tbsp. oil, plus 1/4 cup sherry (OR chicken/beef broth) for stir-frying
- 1 Tbsp. oyster sauce
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 heaping tsp. brown sugar
- STIR-FRY SAUCE:
- 1 Tbsp. dark soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. regular soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 2 tsp. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. white pepper
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- handful of fresh coriander
- Stir together the simple marinade: oyster sauce, soy sauce, and brown sugar. Pour over the strips of beef and mix well. Set aside to marinate while you prepare the other ingredients.
- If your fresh rice noodles came pressed together, take a few minutes to separate them (some may break or remain stuck together - this is normal). Note that if your rice noodles come direct from your refrigerator, it may help to very briefly microwave them before separating (see packet instructions).
- Stir all the stir-fry sauce ingredients together in a cup and set near the stove.
- Place a wok or large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add 2 Tbsp. oil and swirl around.
- Add the garlic and briefly stir-fry until fragrant (30 seconds).
- Add the beef (along with marinade) and stir-fry 2 minutes. Add a little sherry or broth whenever your wok/pan becomes dry - enough to keep ingredients stir-frying nicely.
- Add the broccoli and continue stir-frying in the same way for 1 more minute.
- Push ingredients aside and break the egg into the center of the wok or pan. Quickly stir-fry to cook the egg (like making scrambled eggs).
- Add the noodles and pour the stir-fry sauce over. Using two utensils, gently lift and turn the noodles to mix with the other ingredients and the sauce (these noodles break easily). Noodles will gradually soften (about 2 minutes).
- When noodles are soft, remove from heat. Taste-test for salt, adding more fish sauce until desired taste is achieved. Serve with Thai chili sauce on the side. (For a homemade recipe, see my: Nam Prik Pao Chili Sauce Recipe.) ENJOY!