Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Yield: 4 Quarter-Chicken Servings
- 4 quarter-chicken pieces, OR equivalent of thighs/breast
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 1/4 cup purple onion, finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 fresh red chili, minced, OR up to 1/2 tsp. chili flakes
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 can Carnation milk
- Thinly slice the lemongrass and then chop it up as finely as you can (alternatively you can use a food processor or chopper for the mincing part). Do the same with the purple onion and mix both in a bowl to create the marinade.
- Add the chili and sauces and stir again. Finally, add the Carnation milk and sugar. Stir everything together until sugar is dissolved.
- Place chicken pieces in a flat baking pan. Pour the lemongrass concoction over, turning chicken to saturate. Turn pieces skin-side down and set in refrigerator to marinate at least 15 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Turn chicken pieces skin-side up and spoon a little more of the marinade from the pan over the surface of each piece. Set baking pan in the middle of your oven and bake 60-75 minutes, until chicken is golden-brown on the surface.
- Accompany with plenty of Thai jasmine rice on the side and ENJOY!
Great Side Dishes: This dish is nicely set off by something crisp and green. If I'm short on time, this can be as simple as slices of fresh cucumber garnishing the side of each plate. For a wonderful Thai salad that goes well with this dish, consider this Easy Thai Tossed Green Salad with Coconut Dressing, or - if you have more time, this Thai Cucumber Salad, which I've found to be very popular with guests. Hope you enjoy the ensemble as much as we do!