Prep Time: 7 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 7 minutes
Yield: SERVES 2-4 as a Main Entree
- 6 to 10 chicken drumsticks, skin left on
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1 lemon
- 7-8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup liquid honey
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 1-2 fresh red chilies, minced, OR 1/3 to 1/2 Tbsp. dried crushed chili (from the spice aisle)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place chicken in a flat-bottomed baking dish (the best is a non-glass one). Make sure chicken pieces are not piled on top of one another.
- Zest the lemon first, then squeeze out the juice. Place these plus all remaining ingredients together in a bowl or measuring cup, stirring well to combine. Pour this sauce over the chicken. Turn chicken pieces several times to coat. Chicken can be baked immediately OR left to marinate 30 minutes (or up to 24 hours).
- Add 3 Tbsp. or so of water to the bottom of the pan and bake at 350 degrees on the middle rack of your oven for 1 hour, turning pieces once halfway through. When you turn them, add a little more water if pan has become too dry.
- When chicken is done, it will turn a golden reddish-brown (see photo) and be very tender. If still pale in color after an hour, continue baking another 10 to 15 minutes, or until desired coloring and tenderness is achieved.
- Serve immediately together with plenty of plain steamed rice. Fresh coriander/cilantro and thin lemon slices can be added as a garnish. The sauce from the baking dish is excellent spooned over both chicken and rice. ENJOY!