Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Yield: SERVES 2-3
- 1 to 1.5 lb. (0.68 kg) chicken wings
- 1/2 cup liquid honey
- 3 Tbsp. vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. 5-spice powder, available at Asian and gourmet food stores
- 1/2 to 1 tsp. cayenne pepper, to taste
- 4 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2-3 kaffir lime leaves, cut into slivers with scissors, OR 1 Tbsp. grated lime zest
- 1 tsp. dark soy sauce
- Combine marinade ingredients in a mixing bowl, stirring well to distribute the honey with other ingredients. Adjust the cayenne to suit your taste (1 tsp. makes spicy-hot wings). Add the chicken wings and stir to coat. Cover and set wings in the refrigerator to marinate at least 10 minutes, OR up to 24 hours if making ahead of time.
- Heat up your grill/BBQ and brush cooking surface with a little vegetable oil to prevent sticking. Grill wings over medium-high heat 20 to 30 minutes, or until nicely brown on all sides. Use leftover marinade to baste wings the first 2 times you turn them. For Baked Wings, see instructions below.
- Serve wings hot from the grill, either on their own or with rice. ENJOY!
For Baked Wings: Place wings + marinade in a flat glass baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, or until cooked. To achieve more of a BBQ flavor, take an extra 5 minutes and transfer cooked wings to a foil-lined baking sheet (turn up edges to prevent spilling). Place on one of the upper tiers of your oven. Turn oven to BROIL setting, staying close by to prevent wings from burning. Broil 3-5 minutes, or until wings are nicely browned. Enjoy!