If you're a fried rice fan, you'll absolutely love this scrumptious Thai version of chicken fried rice. What I enjoy most about this dish is that every biteful is different: sometimes you get a sweet-savory combination of pineapple and chicken, at other times you taste the spicy flavor of the rice together with the contrasting texture of nuts and raisins. There's a little prep work involved, but the actually cooking time is fast and easy. Makes a great dish for everyday eating as well as parties. Note the use of individual spices rather than curry powder in the stir-fry sauce, which makes it different from other pineapple rice recipes, and makes it taste better too. ENJOY!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: SERVES 4-6
- 4-5 cups cooked white jasmine rice
- 1 chicken breast OR 2-3 thighs, chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp. minced onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 fresh red or green chili, minced, OR 1/2 to 3/4 tsp. dried crushed chili
- 1/2 tsp. whole cumin seeds
- 1 small carrot, sliced or chopped into small pieces
- 1 egg
- 1+1/2 cups pineapple chunks, fresh or canned
- 3 Tbsp. chopped raisins
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup dry roasted cashews, unsalted
- fresh coriander for garnish
- 2-3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- STIR-FRY SAUCE:
- 2 Tbsp. pineapple juice
- 2+1/2 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1/3 tsp. turmeric
- 1/4 tsp. coriander
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- Place chopped chicken in a bowl together with the soy sauce. Stir to combine and set aside to marinate while you finish your other prep work.
- Combine all 'Stir-fry Sauce' ingredients together in a cup, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Set aside. (Note: If using fresh pineapple, you will have to press some of the fruit to come up with the juice, but the fresh taste will be worth it!)
- Place a wok or a large, deep frying pan over medium to medium-high heat. Drizzle in the oil, then add the onion, garlic, chili, whole cumin, and carrot. Stir-fry 1 minute.
- Add marinated chicken and stir-fry 2-3 minutes, or until chicken turns white and opaque.
- Crack in the egg and continue stir-frying, breaking up the egg with your utensil into small pieces to combine with the other ingredients.
- Add the stir-fry sauce you made earlier. Also add the cooked rice, pineapple, raisins and peas. Fry together by gently stirring, lifting and turning. Break up any clumps of rice by pressing down against them with the flat side of your utensil. Fry in this way 3-5 minutes, or until rice is a uniform golden colour. Finally, add the cashews and stir them in.
- Remove from heat and taste-test, adding more fish sauce for a saltier, more flavorful rice (how salty your rice tastes will depend on whether you started with salted or unsalted rice. I always start with unsalted rice and end up adding 1-2 Tbsp. more fish sauce). If you'd prefer a spicier rice, add more fresh or dried chili..
- Top your fried rice with a handful of chopped fresh coriander, and ENJOY!