Coconut Rice makes a deliciously easy side dish that can be served with a variety of Thai and Indian dishes such as curries, stir-fried vegetables, plus fish and seafood mains. This easy coconut rice recipe is made in a rice cooker (for coconut rice made in a pot on your stove, see link within this recipe). All you need is rice, coconut milk, salt, and dry shredded coconut, and you'll be serving up some delicious coconut rice in just 20 minutes. ENJOY!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- MAKES 4 Servings
- 2 cups Thai jasmine-scented white rice (note that other types of rice, such as brown rice, will not work for this recipe)
- 1 cup good-quality coconut milk (not "lite")
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2-3 Tbsp. dry shredded coconut, unsweetened or sweetened (baking type)
For Coconut Rice made in a pot on your stovetop, see my: Thai Coconut Rice Recipe (stovetop version).
- Place rice in rice cooker. Add the water, coconut milk, salt, and shredded coconut. Stir well (use a plastic or wooden utensil to avoid scraping off the non-stick surface). Cover and set to cook.
- Once your rice cooker switches to "warm" mode, allow another 8-10 minutes for rice to finish "steaming". This will ensure your coconut rice is fully cooked and pleasantly sticky.
- Gently fluff with chopsticks before serving (some of the shredded coconut may have risen to the surface - just stir it back into the rice). Taste-test it for salt, adding a little more until desired flavor is achieved.
- Serve with Thai, Chinese, or Indian dishes of your choice. Excellent with Thai Curry Recipes, OR Thai Fish and Seafood Recipes, OR Vegetarian Thai Food Recipes.. ENJOY!