Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- SERVES 4-6 people as a side dish
- 2 cups white Thai jasmine-scented rice*
- 2+1/2 cups good-tasting chicken stock OR if vegetarian, use vegetable or faux-chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp. saffron threads
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. dried crushed chili (available in the spice aisle)
- 1-2 Tbsp. fish sauce OR 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. salt if vegetarian
- squeeze of lemon juice
- Measure stock into a pot and place over high heat on your stove. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. (If using stock cubes or powder, be sure they are well dissolved in the boiling water.)
- Add the saffron threads, turmeric, cumin, garlic, chili and fish sauce or salt to the hot stock. Stir well.
- Pour this mixture into your rice cooker together with the rice. Stir and cover. Switch on the cooker.
- When rice is done, fluff with a fork or chopsticks (the dried chili may have risen to the top - just stir it in). Taste-test for saltiness, adding a little more fish sauce or salt if needed. If too salty, add a squeeze or two of lemon juice (how salty your rice turns out depends on the salt content of your stock).
- Serve your saffron rice as a side dish with nearly any Southeast-Asian, Indian, or Western fare you might be cooking up, and ENJOY!
*Rice Tip: For this recipe be sure to use only Thai jasmine rice - other types may not be successful (e.g. do not use brown rice, short grain rice, sweet rice, or minute rice).