Sticky rice is normally steamed, and because of this, few people here in the West can be bothered making it. But did you know you can also make sticky rice in your rice cooker with delicious results? Cooking sticky rice in your rice cooker cuts down on all the steps involved, and is so quick and easy to do, you'll find yourself enjoying sticky rice more often. As you know, sticky rice is excellent served with stir-fries, curries, or any dishes with a delicious sauce (the sticky rice both absorbs and complements it).
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- SERVES 4
- 2 cups Thai sweet rice (also called "sticky" or "glutinous" rice)
- 2+ 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp. salt
To make your sticky rice in a pot on your stove
, see: How to Make Sticky Rice (stovetop recipe).
Sticky Rice Tip:
- Place 2 cups sweet rice in your rice cooker. Add 2+ 1/2 cups water and stir.
- Let the sweet rice stand at least 40 minutes (or longer if you want - up to 4 hours).
- Add the salt and stir once more. Turn on your rice cooker.
- When your rice cooker switches off (after 15-20 minutes), let the rice sit at least five minutes extra.
- Enjoy your sticky rice!
Sticky rice will become 'sticker' the longer it sits, so if you want it very sticky, make it ahead of time. Store sticky rice in your refrigerator, and try to use it up within 2-3 days.