Most vegetable stir-fries are a tad on the boring side, but not this one! This dish sings with so much flavor, you'll forget all about its amazing health benefits (plus it's vegetarian and vegan too!). Using a good stir-fry sauce one of the keys to creating a great veggie stir-fry; the other is in the stir-frying - knowing when to add what. At the same time, this recipe is pretty forgiving - you can add your own choice of vegetables, depending on what you have on hand. The tofu topping is delicious, but optional - if you just want vegetables, you'll still get a great stir-fry out of this recipe. Hope you enjoy it as much as my family does.
Prep Time: 16 minutes
Cook Time: 18 minutes
Total Time: 34 minutes
Yield: SERVES 3-4 with rice
- 12-oz/350g. tofu medium firmness (2.5 cups cubed)
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped purple OR white onion
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced thickly
- 1.5 to 2 cups broccoli florets
- 6-7 shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1.5 to 2 cups baby bok choy OR regular chopped green cabbage
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 6 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup white flour
- STIR-FRY SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup vegetable stock (OR chicken stock)
- 4 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. hoisin sauce (available in most supermarkets)
- 2 Tbsp. sweet chili sauce(available in most supermarkets)
- 1 tsp. rice vinegar OR regular white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. sherry OR cooking sherry
- TOFU MARINADE:
- 3 Tbsp. hoisin sauce
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together the 'Tofu Marinade' until sugar dissolves. Slice tofu into 1 to 1.5-inch cubes or rectangles and add to the sauce, gently turning to saturate. Set in the refrigerator. Next, combine 'Stir-Fry Sauce' ingredients in a cup and set aside. Chop all your vegetables, keeping them in separate piles.
- Distribute flour over a large dinner plate. Remove tofu from refrigerator and gently turn each piece in the flour. Let tofu remain sitting in the flour.
- Heat a small to medium-size frying pan over high heat. Add 5-6 Tbsp. oil. When oil is hot, add the floured tofu cubes. Fry 1 minute, then turn tofu for 1 more minute or until medium-browned on both sides. Remove tofu from oil and set on paper towel to drain. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue frying until all tofu is cooked. Reserve fried tofu on a pan in a warm oven.
- Heat a wok or large frying pan over high heat. Add 1 Tbsp. oil plus onion and garlic, and stir-fry 1 minute. Add carrot and celery + 2 Tbsp. of stir-fry sauce. Stir-fry 2 minutes.
- Add broccoli and mushrooms. Stir-fry 2 minutes, adding more of the stir-fry sauce as you go.
- Add bok choy (or cabbage), red pepper, and remaining stir-fry sauce, frying everything together until vegetables are cooked but still retain some crispness (2-3 minutes). Remove from heat and taste-test. If too salty or sweet for your taste, add a little lime or lemon juice. Add more soy sauce if not salty or flavorful enough. Some fresh-cut chili or chili flakes can be added for more spice.
- To serve, transfer vegetables onto a serving plate or individual plates or bowls. Tip the pan to drizzle remaining sauce over, then top with the warm tofu. Serve with Thai jasmine rice, and ENJOY!.