Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 2 cups (makes 1 large curry)
- 1 stalk lemongrass, minced, OR 3-4 Tbsp. frozen prepared lemongrass (available at Asian stores)
- 1-3 green chilies, sliced (Thai green chilies OR jalapeno work well too)
- 1 shallot, sliced, OR 4 Tbsp. minced purple onion
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- 1 thumb-size piece of galangal OR ginger, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh coriander/cilantro leaves & stems
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ground white pepper (available in most supermarket spice aisles)
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 3 Tbsp. fish sauce; Vegetarians: substitute 1 Tbsp. soy sauce + 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. shrimp paste (available by the jar at Asian stores); Vegetarians: substitute 1 Tbsp. Golden Mountain Sauce
- 1-2 tsp. brown sugar, to taste
- 3/4 can coconut milk (reserve 1/4 for cooking - see cooking tip below)
- Place all ingredients in a food processor, blender, or large chopper.
- Process well to form a fragrant Thai green curry sauce. Taste-test the sauce for salt and spice. If too salty for your taste, add a squeeze of lime or lemon juice. If not salty enough, add more fish sauce or salt. Add more chili for more heat.
- Your curry sauce is now ready to be used. You can bottle up any leftovers and keep them in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Freeze thereafter. ENJOY!
If using a pestle & mortar: Pound all dry herbs & spices together to form a paste, then gradually add the wet ingredients, stirring until smooth. Your curry paste is now ready to use.
Cooking Tips: To Make this Sauce into a Delicious Thai Curry,
Drizzle some vegetable oil into a wok or deep-sided frying pan and swirl around. Add the green curry sauce, plus other ingredients (your choice of protein - chicken, pork, beef, tofu, or vegetables). Bring to a light boil, then reduce heat to a gentle simmer, stirring occasionally. If more sauce is needed, add chicken stock or faux chicken stock, or a combination of stock and water. When curry is fully cooked, reduce heat to minimum and add the reserved 1/4 can coconut milk. Taste-test before serving, adding more fish sauce or salt if needed. Sprinkle over fresh basil, and serve with rice. ENJOY!