Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
Yield: 6-8 Sticky Rice Cake Desserts
- 1 cup sweet rice (also known as 'glutinous rice')
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 can coconut milk (preferably not ‘lite’)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Optional Topping:
- 4 Tbsp. rice flour (available in any baking aisle)
- 1/2 can coconut milk
- 1 egg
- pinch of salt
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- Cover rice with water and soak at least 1 hour or up to 4 hours. Grease 6-8 ramekins OR an 8-inch square cake pan with a little vegetable oil (if you happen to have coconut oil, use that).
- Drain rice and distribute among ramekins or in cake pan. Rice should be at least 1/2 to 3/4 inch deep in each ramekin. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place coconut milk, brown sugar, vanilla and salt in a mixing bowl. Crack in the eggs and stir everything together until sugar dissolves. Taste for sweetness, adding more sugar if desired. Pour over rice in the pan/ramekins (if using ramekins, distribute it as evenly as you can), stirring to combine.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes (an inserted fork should come out clean or nearly clean). If you're adding the topping, the cake(s) can remain a little undercooked at this stage, as they will be going back in the oven. While baking, prepare topping (if using).
- For Topping (optional): Place topping ingredients in a pot or sauce pan. Stir with a whisk over medium heat until mixture begins to lightly bubble. Reduce heat to low, whisking continuously (mixture will start to stick to the bottom of the pot) - but just keep whisking for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and continue whisking until it thickens and most of the lumps are gone. Transfer to a bowl to cool. (Note: most people would use a double-boiler for this, but I find the single pot method works fine as long as you don`t overheat and keep whisking to get out the lumps).
- When rice layer is done baking, spread on the topping. Take another baking dish and fill at least 1 inch deep with hot water from the tap. Place this on lower rack and set cake(s) on higher rack. Bake 15 minutes, until topping feels firm when lightly touched. Serve either warm or at room temperature. This cake is best stored outside the refrigerator and eaten within 3 days. Enjoy!
More Sticky Rice Recipes: