Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
- SERVES 6
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (OR substitue butter, or healthy vegetable oil)
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup regular or lite coconut milk (OR substitute soy milk or regular milk)
- 1 medium banana
- 1+1/2 cups rice flour OR regular all purpose flour (use rice flour for gluten-free diets)
- 1+1/2 tsp. baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1 medium banana
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, OR natural syrup (like maple syrup)
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a deep-sided baking dish or cake pan (for this recipe, I use a round, 9-inch CorningWare-type baking dish).
- If you have a food processor/mixer: Simply place all of the cake ingredients (minus the sauce) in your mixer or food processor. Process or mix to form a batter (the batter will be quite runny). Make sure the banana is well-incorporated into the batter.
If you do not have a food processor/mixer: Place the banana in a mixing bowl and mash with a potato masher. Add the butter/oil (soften first if solid), egg, sugar, vanilla, and coconut milk (or other milk), stirring to combine. Then mix in the dry ingredients, stirring or whisking until you have a more or less smooth batter (batter will be on the runny side).
- Pour batter into the prepared baking dish or pan. Set aside.
- Prepare the sauce by placing all sauce ingredients in food processor or mixer. Process/mix well to form a runny sauce. If you do not have a processor/mixer: Mash the banana in a mixing bowl with a potato masher, then add the brown sugar or syrup. Pour the hot water over and stir to form a runny sauce (don't worry if there are small lumps of banana).
- Now drizzle the sauce all over the cake (the cake will rise with the sauce marbled throughout it).
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 1 hour, or until the top is golden-brown, and the cake comes away from the sides of the dish/pan.
- Serve warm from the oven as is (it's delicious on its own), or add a dollop of ice cream or whipped cream, if desired. ENJOY!