This easy dessert only takes 5 minutes to make! But don't be deceived by its simplicity - the taste is so wonderfully sweet and exotic that I find it addictive! It's also a low fat dessert that happens to be incredibly healthy. A great way to use up leftover bananas, this banana lychee pudding is really more of what they would call a "dessert soup" in Asia. This simple banana lychee dessert recipe can be served warm or cold, depending on the weather and your mood (cold is great on a hot summer night, while serving it warm makes this a superb comfort food). Enjoy!
Prep Time: 3 minutes
Cook Time: 2 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
- SERVES 3-4
- 1 large ripe banana, OR 2 small
- 8-10 fresh lychees, peeled (see below), OR canned lychees (drained)
- 1 can coconut milk (regular or "lite")
- 1/4 to 1/3 loose (not packed) cup brown sugar, depending on desired sweetness
- pinch of salt
- For tips on using fresh lychee fruit (also called "lychee nut"), see: How to Shop for & Prepare Lychee Fruit.
- Peel the bananas, then slice them in half lengthwise. Cut these lengths into smaller sections - roughly 2 inches long.
- Pour the coconut milk into a sauce pan or pot, and place over medium-high heat. Add the sugar, stirring to dissolve (about 30 seconds to 1 minute). Start by adding 1/4 cup sugar, taste-testing for sweetness. If you'd like it sweeter, add a little more.
- Add the rest of the ingredients. Continue stirring until the bananas and lychees are warmed through (1-2 minutes).
- Serve immediately, or cover and place in the refrigerator for later. This dessert is excellent served either warm or cold (cold is great for hot summer days, while warm is a perfect comfort food during cooler weather). ENJOY!