Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: Serves 6-8
- 1 fresh pineapple, sliced into 1/4-inch rings, OR 14 oz. can (398 ml) pineapple slices, drained
- 1 ripe mango
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 Tbsp. molasses
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 3 medium to large eggs
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- pinch salt
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup butter, softened or melted
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 cup thick coconut milk (or substitute regular milk)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease a round 9-inch cake pan (for more on preparing the pan, see tip below recipe*). If using canned pineapple, place rings on a paper towel to absorb excess juice. Arrange fruit in the bottom of the pan, placing the pineapple slices around the parameter and one more in the center. Fill in the gaps with pieces of the mango.
- To make the caramel topping, combine brown sugar, water, and molasses in a sauce pan. Bring to boil, then add the butter (it will foam a little). Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 1 minute. Pour this sauce over the arranged fruit and set pan aside.
- Separate eggs whites from the yolks. Place whites in a medium-size mixing bowl and yolks in a large mixing bowl.
- Beat whites with an electric mixer until stiff (they should look like whipped cream). Set aside.
- To the yolks, beat in the sugar, salt, and butter until smooth. Stir baking powder into the flour and add this plus the coconut milk and vanilla. Beat until everything is well combined (it will be quite thick), then add the beaten egg whites. Either combine by hand or with an electric beater on low speed just until combined.
- Gently pour batter over the fruit/caramel. Bake on the center rack of your oven 30 to 40 minutes, or until top of cake is firm to the touch and an inserted fork comes out clean (top and sides may be lightly browned).
- Cool cake completely before turning over onto a serving plate. Serve as is, or with my caramel sauce (below). ENJOY!
Extra Caramel Sauce (optional): This sauce is super-easy to make, and adds that finishing touch to this delicious cake. Place 1/4 cup cream (I use coffee cream) in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add 2 Tbsp. brown sugar, plus 1/2 Tbsp. molasses. Stir until combined and heated through. Spoon warm over the cake and enjoy! (double this sauce recipe if serving more than 4)
*Tip: If you're worried about your cake not coming out of the pan perfectly, here's a good tip. Trace the bottom of your 9-inch pan onto parchment paper, then cut out this 'circle' and set in the bottom of your pan. Grease both the sides of the pan and the paper, and your cake will pop out easily.