In Thailand, iced coffee is sold on the street in plastic bags with a straw for drinking. It doesn't look appetizing, but it definitely tastes good. It's also very easy to make at your, plus if you make it yourself you get to choose your favorite blend or brand of coffee bean. The key to this recipe is to brew the coffee stronger than you would for regular morning coffee - you need the strong bitter taste to balance out with the sweetness of the milk. This drink is simply heavenly served over ice on a hot day, or add some of your favorite liqueur for a delicious afternoon/after-dinner drink. ENJOY!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
Yield: SERVES 2-4
- SERVES 2
- 2 large cups or glasses of strongly brewed coffee OR strong instant coffee (if using leftover coffee, briefly reheat)
- 4-6 Tbsp. sweetened condensed milk (to taste)
- 1/4 cup cream OR Carnation evaporated milk
- ice cubes
- Pour hot coffee into a glass jug or other container for mixing/pouring.
- Add 4-6 Tbsp. sweetened condensed milk and stir well until dissolved. Add a few ice cubes and refrigerate 1 or more hours.
- To serve, place a few ice cubes in the bottom of each glass and pour the coffee over. Top with a few Tbsp. of the cream/carnation milk.
- Taste-test the coffee. You want it to taste strong and sweet. Add more sweetened condensed milk if you prefer it sweeter, or more cream/carnation milk if it's too strong or for a richer taste. (Note that this iced coffee is meant to be rather sweet).
- This iced coffee is xcellent as is, or serve with a shot of Cointreau, Bailey's, Kahlua, or your favorite liqueur. ENJOY!