Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Yield: SERVES 3-4
- 3/4 to 1 lb. (.83 kg.) chicken legs or thighs, skin left on
- 6-8 shiitake or porcini mushrooms, OR a combination of dried and fresh mushrooms
- 4 whole cloves garlic
- 1-2 small whole red chilies
- lime or lemon wedges + handful chopped fresh green onion
- 7-8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red chili, minced, OR 1 tsp. dried crushed chili
- 2 Tbsp. oyster sauce (also called 'oyster-flavored' sauce)
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 can (14 oz./400 ml) coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp. Golden Mountain Sauce, OR fish sauce
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. While oven is heating, combine marinade ingredients together in a medium-sized mixing bowl, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add chicken pieces and turn to coat. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the 'Sauce' ingredients: coconut milk, fish/golden mountain sauce, brown sugar, and lime juice.
- Transfer marinated chicken to a baking dish (preferably wide and flat). Pour sauce you just made in and around the chicken pieces. Add the whole garlic cloves and chilies plus the mushrooms, gently stirring into the sauce. (Note: the pan make look full now, but the mushrooms will reduce to half their size.) Cover with foil or lid and set in oven. After 30 minutes, spoon sauce over the chicken pieces. Leave foil/lid off and return to oven for another 30 minutes.
- Before serving, taste-test the sauce. It should taste garlicky and a little on the salty side, with the spice (garlic and chili) coming through. If too salty, a squeeze of fresh lime or lemon juice. Serve with rice and top chicken pieces with some sauce from the pan, some of the mushrooms, and green onion or fresh chives to garnish. ENJOY!
Make-ahead Tip: The chicken can be left to marinate in your refrigerator for up to 24 hours ahead of cooking.