If you like good grilled/BBQ chicken, try this classic and fantastically delicious Thai Grilled Chicken! Simple enough to make, and the results are truly satifying. Includes a special marinade that imbues the chicken with taste and gives it that beautiful reddish barbecue color. Serve with a quintessentially Thai sauce that is super-easy to make (no cooking involved!) and gives your bbq chicken that extra hit of flavor. A great recipe to make for everday eating, or for a special cookout or family barbecue. ENJOY!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- SERVES 2
- approx. 1/2 lb chicken thighs or breast, or chicken pieces of your choice
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1+1/2 tsp. ground white pepper (look for it in your spice aisle, OR substitute 1 tsp. black pepper)
- 2 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tsp. dark soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp. sherry (or cooking sherry)
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- EASY CHILI-LIME SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (juice of 1 lime)
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 2 Tbsp. shallot OR purple onion, finely minced
- 1 minced red chili, OR 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- Stir all marinade ingredients together until well mixed and sugar has dissolved.
- Pour marinade over chicken pieces. Turn and stir the chicken in the marinade. Allow chicken to marinate at least 30 minutes, or up to 24 hours (covered and in the refrigerator).
- Barbecue chicken over a hot grill. Brush with some of the leftover marinade from the bottom of the bowl the first time you turn the chicken pieces.
- Continue grilling until chicken is well cooked (inner flesh should be opaque and juices should run clear).
- To make the chili-lime sauce: Simply stir all sauce ingredients together in a small bowl until the brown sugar dissolves. Note that this sauce does not need to be cooked or heated.
- Taste-test the sauce. It should taste tangy and spicy - a balance of sour and sweet, salty and spicy. If you prefer it sweeter, add more sugar. Add more fresh chili or cayenne if you prefer it spicier. If you'd like it saltier, add more fish sauce.
- Serve the barbecue chicken together with the sauce. Excellent with rice, but also good with potatoes or over salad greens. ENJOY!