Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Yield: SERVES 3-4
- CURRY SAUCE: (SERVES 4)
- 1 can good-quality coconut milk
- 3 shallots OR 1/2 cup purple onion, sliced
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1-3 fresh red chilies, depending on how hot you want it, OR 1/2 to 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1 Tbsp. finely sliced lemongrass
- 3 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 thumb-size piece of galangal OR ginger, sliced or grated
- 1 tsp. fennel seeds
- 1 tsp. shrimp paste (available by the jar at Asian/Chinese stores)
- 1/2 tsp. cloves
- 1 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1 tsp. tamarind paste (available by the jar at Indian stores) - OR substitute 1 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar (or more to taste)
- OTHER INGREDIENTS:
- 1 lb. chicken pieces
- 2-3 potatoes, cut into wedges or chunky cubes
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced
- 1-2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/4 cup dry roasted unsalted peanuts OR cashews, roughly chopped or ground
- generous handful fresh coriander
- To make the curry sauce, simply place all curry sauce ingredients in a food processor (or blender). Process well to form a smooth sauce.
- Place chicken pieces in a fairly large cassarole dish, and pour the curry sauce over. Stir well.
- Add chopped potatoes, plus cinnamon sticks. Stir again.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour, or until chicken is well cooked (depending on your oven and the thickness of the chicken pieces, you may need to let the curry bake another 10 minutes or so).
- Remove from the oven and add the cucumber rounds, stirring to incorporate.
- Taste-test the curry for salt, sweetness, and spice level. If not salty enough, add more Tbsp. fish sauce (instead of salt), to taste. Add 1/2 to 1 more Tbsp. brown sugar if the curry is too sour for your taste. Add more fresh chili or cayenne if not spicy enough. If too spicy, add a little more coconut milk or plain yogurt.
- To serve, scoop curry onto a serving platter, including potatoes and cucumber as well as chicken. Sprinkle with chopped or ground nuts, plus fresh coriander. Serve with penty of Thai jasmine-scented rice, and ENJOY!