This Crispy Garlic Roasted Chicken is easy to make, and comes with an optional Sweet Lemongrass-Chili Sauce that is great served on the side together with rice (instead of gravy & potatoes). Lots of garlic, plus a hint of chili flavor this chicken, and the roasting instructions ensure the skin comes out nicely browned and crispy-good. Makes for a gourmet-style roast that's wonderful-tasting and beautiful to serve. ENJOY!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 50 minutes
Yield: SERVES 3-4
- 1 small to medium-size chicken (thawed thoroughly if frozen)
- 1 head garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. dried crushed chili (or fresh chili, minced finely)
- 1-2 Tbsp. dark soy sauce, OR substitute 2-3 Tbsp. regular soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil OR butter
- salt OR garlic salt
- SWEET LEMONGRASS-CHILI SAUCE (Optional):
- 1 stalk fresh lemongrass, finely minced (OR 2+1/2 Tbsp. frozen prepared lemongrass)
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp. sherry (I used cooking sherry)
- 1 Tbsp. vinegar (rice, red wine, white, or apple cider)
- 2 Tbsp. palm OR brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 fresh red chili, minced, OR 1/2 tsp. dried crushed chili (+ more or less, to taste)
- 1+1/2 tsp. cornstarch dissolved in 3 Tbsp. cool water
- Rinse chicken, ensuring cavity is cleared of giblets/neck. Gently lift skin to separate from the meat (just above the neck) - enough to slip your fingers underneath. Using your index finger, gently follow the surface of the breast to separate and lift the skin.
- Mix together the minced garlic and chili, and gently stuff this under the skin, spreading it out over the surface-area of the breast and down into the sides. Rub any extra garlic/chili over the surface of the chicken as well as inside the cavity.
- Drizzle soy sauce over the entire chicken, using your fingers to slather it evenly over skin. Set in the refrigerator to marinate 15-30 minutes, OR cover and marinate up to 24 hours in advance. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Before roasting, melt the coconut oil or butter and brush all over the chicken. Then sprinkle entire surface generously with salt. Set chicken in roaster (place a rack in the bottom of your roaster if you have one). Pour a little water into the bottom of the roaster - just enough to cover the surface area. Cover and place chicken on the middle rack of your oven for 45 minutes (for a small chicken) to 1 hour (for a larger chicken).
- Remove cover and increase heat to 450 degrees. Continue roasting another 20-30 minutes, or until juices run clear when chicken is pierced near the bone.
- For Sweet Lemongrass-Chili Sauce: If using fresh lemongrass, mince it finely (a mini-chopper or pestle and mortar can be used), then place all ingredients - except cornstarch/water mixture - in a sauce pan over high heat. Boil for 3-5 minutes, or until lemongrass has softened and the vinegar has burned off.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add the cornstarch-water mixture, stirring well to thicken. Reduce heat to low and taste-test it, looking for a balance between sweet and sour, spicy and salty. This sauce should taste tangy, but leaning towards the sweet side. It's also delicious with extra chili for a spicier sauce. Add more sugar if too sour for your taste, or a squeeze of lime juice or a touch more vinegar if too sweet.
- Let chicken sit at least 5 minutes before serving - this will help crisp up the skin. Serve as is, or accompanied with the Sweet Lemongrass-Chili Sauce. ENJOY!