Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- SERVES 4
- MARINADE: 4 Tbsp. soy sauce mixed with 1 tsp. cornstarch
- 3-4 boneless chicken breasts or 6-8 thighs (OR the equivalent of pork)
- 1 red and 1 green bell pepper, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 4-6 fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 4 small "heads" bok choy, or the equivalent of 2 cups Chinese cabbage, chopped
- 5 green onions, cut into 2-3 inch lengths
- handful of fresh coriander (for garnish)
- oil for stir-frying
- 1 stalk lemongrass, cut into 3-inch lengths (for more on lemongrass, see link below)
- 3 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 2 Tbsp. tomato ketchup (or substitute tomato paste + 1 tsp. sugar)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp. chilli sauce (or 1 fresh red chilli, minced) - omit or reduce to half if cooking for children
- 1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 thumb-size piece galangal (or ginger), grated
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, fresh, dried, or frozen (available at your local Asian grocery store)
- 1 heaping tsp. cornstarch dissolved in 3 Tbsp. water
- First, mix the soy sauce with the cornstarch - this is your marinade. Mix with the chicken and allow to sit while you prepare the sauce and vegetables.
- Using a sharp knife, make superficial cuts along the lengths of lemongrass. Then gently bend these pieces to "bruise" them (this releases flavor and fragrance). Place these small stalks in a mixing bowl. Note: For complete instructions on how to buy and cook with lemongrass, see: All About Lemongrass: Your Guide to Buying, Preparing, and Cooking with Lemongrass
- Add all other sauce ingredients to the bowl except the cornstarch. Stir well. Now prepare all your vegetables for stir-frying.
- Place 2 Tbsp. oil in a wok or large frying pan over medium to high heat. Add the chicken or pork (together with its marinade). Stir-fry 1-2 minutes, or until meat is firm (You may need to add 1 or 2 Tbsp. water to the wok/pan whenever it turns dry).
- Add the sauce (with the lemongrass), stirring well. Bring to a boil, then lower to medium heat. Cover, simmering for 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, green onion, and bell peppers, stirring well. Continue cooking another 5-6 minutes, or until vegetables have softened.
- Finally, add the bok choy or chinese cabbage, stirring it in. Cook another 1-2 minutes, or until the boy choy or cabbage is tender.
- Add the arrowroot/cornstarch (dissolved in water). Stir well. Turn down the heat to low. As the sauce in the dish thickens, do a taste test. If not salty enough, add a little more fish sauce. If too salty, add a squeeze of lime juice. If not spicy enough, add a little more chili. If not sweet enough, add a little more brown sugar. If too sweet, add a little more rice vinegar or some lime juice.
- Sprinkle with fresh coriander and serve immediately with plenty of Thai jasmine-scented rice. ENJOY!