Prep Time: 12 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 17 minutes
- SERVES 2 as the Main Entree (OR 4+ as a Side Dish)
- 10-12 medium to jumbo shrimp, preferably raw and fresh, but frozen and/or cooked shrimp will work too
- 3 oz. (or about 2 cooked cups) vermicelli glass noodles (made with bean/pea flour); OR vermicelli rice noodles
- approx. 1 cup fresh papaya, cut into matchstick-like pieces (for more about fresh papaya, see below)
- 4 spring onions (scallions), cut into thin strips or matchstick-like pieces
- 1 medium cucumber, cut into matchstick-like pieces
- 1 cup fresh coriander, lightly chopped
- optional: 1 fresh red chili, de-seeded and minced (note: there is also chili in the salad dressing)
- optional: 1/2 loose cup fresh basil, lightly chopped
- optional: 1/3 cup thinly sliced or grated purple cabbage
- SALAD DRESSING:
- 2 Tbsp. fish sauce (available in tall bottles at Asian/Chinese food stores)
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar (loose, not packed)
- 1-2 tsp. chili sauce (adjust according to taste, or omit for a very mild salad)
- Bring a pot of water (large enough for the noodles) to the boil, then remove from heat. Submerge the glass or rice noodles into the water and allow to soak (soften).
- Glass noodles are ready when: they turn translucent and are soft enough to eat. The rice noodles are ready when: they are soft enough to eat (but not soggy).
- While noodles are softening, remove shells from shrimp (leave the tails on, if desired). Bring a small pot of water to boil and drop the shrimp in. Cook for 2-3 minutes - until shrimp turns pink and plump - then drain. Rinse with cold water and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Check the noodles. If still too hard, allow glass or rice noodles to soak a few more minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water. Using scissors, cut the noodles into shorter lengths, making the salad easier to toss (and eat!).
- Add the noodles to the mixing bowl along with the papaya, onion, cucumber, coriander, and any other optional ingredients you're using.
- To make the salad dressing, simply mix dressing ingredients together in a cup. Stir until sugar dissolves, then pour over the salad.
- Toss well to combine and ENJOY!