This Thai cashew salad recipe is incredibly scrumptious - but you won't believe just how scrumptious until you try it for yourself! Whole cashews are combined with cucumber, carrot, red pepper and Thai herbs. This healthy combination is tossed in a very easy and fat free Thai dressing. Cashew salad can be made in just 15 minutes, but tastes truly gourmet! A great salad recipe to accompany any meal, but especially other Thai food favorites. Note that this salad can also be served as a main course - just add slices of deep-fried tofu (if you're vegetarian), or some cooked shrimp. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- SERVES 4 as a Side Dish (For a Main Entree, deep-fried tofu or cooked shrimp can be added - Serves 2)
- 1 English cucumber (or 2 small field cucumbers), skin removed if desired (if organic, leave skin on for extra nutrients)
- 1 carrot, grated (use a larger sized grater if you have one)
- 1 cup whole roasted unsalted cashews (avoid the baking type - bulk cashews are fresher)
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, OR 1 small red pepper, sliced thinly
- 2 spring (green) onions, sliced (or cut in strips lengthwise)
- generous handfuls of fresh coriander and fresh basil to make a "bed" for the salad
- SALAD DRESSING:
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. fish sauce - Vegetarians substitute 1 Tbsp. Golden Mountain Sauce OR 1+1/2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. white wine vinegar, or rice vinegar
- 2-3 cloves fresh garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 fresh red chili, de-seeded and minced, OR 1-2 tsp. chili sauce, OR 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. dried crushed chili
- 1-2 tsp. white sugar (to taste)
- pinch of white pepper (or substitute regular black pepper)
- First make the dressing by mixing all salad dressing ingredients together in the bowl.
- Taste-test for sourness/spiciness, adding more sugar if it's too sour for your taste, or more chili if it's not spicy enough. Set aside.
- Slice the cucumber, then cut the slices in half. Place in a salad bowl.
- Add the grated carrot, cashews, red pepper, and spring onions.
- Pour the dressing over and toss well.
- Place salad on a mixed bed of fresh coriander and fresh basil, and serve immediately. Enjoy!!