Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
Yield: SERVES 4 as a Side Dish
- 1 English cucumber OR 2 field cucumbers (if using organic, leave the skin on; otherwise, wash well or peel it off)
- 1 shallot, minced (OR substitute 1/4 cup minced purple onion)
- 2 green (spring) onions, finely sliced
- 1 fresh red chili, de-seeded and minced fine, OR 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander/cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup ground or roughly chopped dry roasted peanuts
- 2 Tbsp. fish sauce (vegetarians: see alternate recipe link below)
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. shrimp paste
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 1 to 1+1/2 tsp. sugar
For a Vegetarian/Vegan version of this recipe, see my Vegetarian Thai Cucumber Salad Recipe (Vegan).
- Cut the cucumber in half lengthwise, then repeat with each half until you have a number of long strips. Now slice the other way to create bite-size rectangular chunks. Place in a salad bowl.
- Add the shallot, green onion, chili/red pepper, and coriander to the salad bowl (keep back a little extra coriander for a garnish).
- Combine the dressing ingredients together in a cup, stirring to dissolve the shrimp paste. Taste-test it for sweet-sour balance, adding more sugar if it's too sour for your taste. Tip: Note that the dressing will taste quite salty and pungent now, but will be perfect once combined with the salad.
- Pour dressing over the salad and toss well.
- To serve, scoop or slide salad onto a serving platter or place in a serving bowl. Top with the ground/chopped peanuts, plus extra coriander. If desired, garnish with a slice of lime. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate for up to 3 hours.*
- If serving this salad as the main course, add 1 cup cooked baby shrimp as a protein source.
- Note that the longer this salad sits, the more liquid will gather at the bottom of the bowl or plate (some of this is juice from the cucumber - the rest is the dressing). If you want to make it ahead of time, just be sure to re-toss the salad before serving. This salad is best eaten the same day you make it. ENJOY!