Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- SERVES 2-3 for Dinner
- 3 boneless chicken breasts, cut into thick slices (see photo)
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- segments of 1/2 to 1 orange
- 1/2 to 1 cup fresh papaya, cut into thin strips
- garden greens - enough to fill 2-3 large serving bowls
- 1 loose cup fresh coriander, lightly chopped
- handful fresh basil or mint, lightly chopped
- 1/2 cup cashews
- handful cherry tomatoes, sliced in half (or substitute regular tomatoes)
- SALAD DRESSING:
- juice of 1 large orange (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 Tbsp. coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 1/2 to 1 Tbsp. brown sugar (to taste)
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (or more, depending on how spicy you want it)
- Place chicken strips in a bowl with 1/4 cup coconut milk and 1 Tbsp. fish sauce. Marinate at least 30 minutes (or up to 24 hours).
- Either grill the strips or broil them as follows (I usually broiling mine, which I find fast and easy. But grilling is wonderful too!)
- Place a generous sheet of tin foil on a pan (such as a roasting pan or baking sheet). Curl up the edges to prevent spilling.
- Lay the chicken strips out flat on the foil (you can include some of the marinade). Grind or sprinkle over half of the black pepper.
- Place oven rack on the second rung and set to broil ("high" if you have 2 settings).
- Broil the chicken 5-7 minutes, or until nicely browned. Turn the strips to brown the other side. Grind or sprinkle over remaining pepper.
- If needed, broil and turn chicken once more, until the strips are cooked.
- While chicken is cooking, whisk together the dressing, stirring until sugar dissolves. Taste-test for desired sweetness and spice, adjusting sugar and cayenne pepper accordingly. Tip: this dressing should tend toward the sweet side (it will taste less sweet once it's on the greens).
- Place garden greens, orange and papaya pieces, fresh herbs, tomatoes, and cashews in a large bowl. Pour over 1/3 to 1/2 the dressing and toss well.
- Portion salad onto individual plates. Top each portion with 4-6 or more strips of the still-warm chicken. To finish, drizzle 1-2 more Tbsp. of the dressing over each portion. ENJOY!