Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Yield: SERVES 4
- 2 cups Thai jasmine-scented white rice (for brown coconut rice, see link below)
- 2 cups good-quality coconut milk
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 2 heaping Tbsp. dry shredded unsweetened coconut (baking type)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. coconut oil, OR vegetable oil
- Optional: 1-2 Tbsp. toasted coconut for garnish (see instructions below recipe)
To Make Brown Coconut Rice, see my: Brown Coconut Rice Recipe.
- Rub oil over the bottom of a deep-sided pot. You will also need a tight-fitting lid.
- Place rice, coconut milk, water, shredded coconut, and salt in the pot and set over medium-high to high heat. Stir occasionally to keep rice from sticking to the bottom of the pot and burning.
- Once the coconut-water has begun to gently bubble, stop stirring and reduce heat to low (just above minimum). Cover tightly with a lid and let simmer 15-20 minutes, or until most of the liquid has been absorbed by the rice. To check, pull rice aside with a fork. If most of the coconut milk-water is gone, go on to the next step.
- Replace the lid and turn off the heat, but leave the covered pot on the burner to steam another 5-10 minutes, or until you're ready to eat. Tip: Your Coconut Rice will stay warm this way for up to 1 hour or more, great for when you're expecting company!
- When ready to serve, remove the lid and fluff rice with a fork or chopsticks. Taste-test the rice for salt, adding a little more if needed. Serve right out of the pot, or transfer to a serving bowl. This rice is excellent served with a variety of both Thai and Indian dishes, such as curries or seafood recipes. If desired, top your rice with a sprinkling of toasted coconut and ENJOY! (see below for toasted coconut instructions).
To Toast Coconut: Place 1 Tbsp. dry shredded coconut in a frying pan over medium-high heat and stir ("dry fry") until light golden brown (see: Toasting Shredded Coconut.).
For a more savory coconut rice, see: Saffron Coconut Rice Recipe (with Spices).