If you're looking for a delicious way to cook brown rice, try this wonderful Thai Brown Coconut Rice! Coconut rice is a favorite side dish that works well with a number of different mains, including Thai and Indian as well as Western dishes. Normally brown rice tastes a bit too "grainy" for some people, and my husband used to be one of them until he tried this recipe. I hope you like it as much as we do!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
- SERVES 3-4 as a Side Dish
- 1+1/2 cups brown jasmine or basmati rice (I like Lundberg Organic Brown Jasmine rice)
- 2 cups good-quality coconut milk (preferably regular, not 'lite')
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2+1/2 Tbsp. dry shredded coconut (baking type)
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil, or other vegetable oil
- Rub the oil over the bottom of a regular-sized pot (you will also need a tight-fitting lid).
- Add the rice, coconut milk, water, salt, and shredded coconut. Stir and set over high heat. Bring to a bubbling (but not rolling) boil.
- Immediately reduce heat to low (just above minimum - around #2 on your dial) and cover tightly with a lid.
- Allow to cook for 1 hour, or until the coconut-water has been absorbed by the rice.
- When all (or nearly all) of the coconut-water is gone, turn off the heat, but leave the pot on the burner (covered). Allow the rice to sit for another 5-10 minutes, or until you're ready to eat. Your coconut rice will stay warm in this way for 1 hour or more (a great make-ahead tip if you're expecting company!).
- Fluff the rice with chopsticks or a fork, and serve with your choice of entree(s). If desired, coconut rice can be topped with a sprinkling of toasted coconut (simply 'dry-fry' 1-2 Tbsp. shredded coconut in a dry frying pan until toasted), OR top with a sprinkling of sweetened shredded coconut (as pictured here). ENJOY!