Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- SERVES 2 for Dinner, 4-6 as a side dish
- 1-2 portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into wide strips
- 1-2 cups chopped eggplant (cut into thin chunks or slices)
- 3 Tbsp. sherry (or cooking sherry)
- 4 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp. white pepper
- NO-COOK SAUCE:
- 2 Tbsp. good-tasting oil, such as coconut or olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp.cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp. sugar
- handful fresh coriander, chopped
- Stir the marinade ingredients together in a cup. Then prepare vegetables and place in a mixing bowl.
- Pour the marinade over the vegetables and toss to coat. Allow to marinate for at least 10 minutes, or up to 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- Cook the marinated vegetables over a hot grill, brushing with any leftover marinade from the bottom of the bowl as you turn.
Tip: You will find these vegetables grill nicely together, all finishing at roughly the same time. Mushrooms and eggplant are done when they are very soft and have shrivelled slightly. The red pepper will be bright in color and still slightly crisp to taste.
- To finish, place the grilled vegetables in a bowl. Stir together the no-cook sauce and pour over, tossing well to coat.
- Taste-test the vegetables, adding more soy sauce if not salty enough, and more sugar if too bitter. If more spice is preferred, sprinkle over a little more cayenne pepper.
- Serve with rice for a main course, or on its own as a side dish. ENJOY!