Roasted green peas are a common snack food throughout most Southeast-Asian countries including Thailand, and they're surprisingly easy to make (healthy too). They're so 'nutty' tasting, one of my friends wouldn't believe they were peas! Spicy, crunchy, and fun to munch on, these peas are similar to wasabi roasted peas, but with Thai spices. As a bonus, they can be stored in a container for weeks without losing any of their flavor or crunchiness. And you don't need to use fresh peas - frozen work just fine. ENJOY!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- 2 cups green peas (I used frozen) - MAKES 1+1/2 cups roasted green peas
- 2+1/2 Tbsp. oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (depending how spicy you want them)
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp. white pepper (available in most spice aisles or at Asian food stores)
- optional: a sprinkling of dried, crushed chili (if you want them very spicy)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and prepare a baking sheet. I covered mine with parchment paper, but you could also use foil or a cooking oil spray.
- Thaw the green peas and pour off any water. Use a paper towel to gently pat them, ensuring they're as dry as possible.
- Place peas in a mixing bowl. Add the oil and toss to coat.
- Now add all the other ingredients and toss again.
- Spread the peas out on your prepared sheet. Gently tamp them down with the back of a large spoon to ensure they're in a single layer. Place them on the centre rack of your oven and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and try them. I like mine very crunchy, so I usually shift them around a bit, then return them to the oven for another 20 to 30 minutes. They will reduce to half their size, and should be brownish in color (see photo).
- Allow to cool completely before covering or storing. These peas will keep for weeks in a jar or other covered container (no need to refrigerate them). Pair with a cold lager, a cocktail, or other drink of your choice, and ENJOY!