Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: SERVES 2 main dish/ 4+ side dish
- 1 package wheat gluten/seitan "chicken" (Asian or lemon-herb flavored are goo), OR baked flavored tofu - cut into strips
- 1 cucumber, peeled (if organic, leave on the peel) and cut lengthwise into thick matchstick-like pieces
- 1 cup fresh coriander, lightly chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, lightly chopped if leaves are large
- 3 spring onions, sliced lengthwise into matchstick-like pieces, OR handful of chives, chopped
- 1 star fruit (available at most supermarkets - look for star fruit that is mostly yellow - if too green, it is unripe)
- 2 roses (different colors make the salad more interesting), preferably in full bloom
- 1/4 cup roasted unsalted peanuts, left whole, or lightly chopped
- SALAD DRESSING:
- 2+1/2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- juice of 1 whole fresh lime
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-3 tsp. chili sauce OR 1-2 fresh minced red chilies (seeds removed), OR 1/4 to 3/4 tsp. dried crushed chili from the spice aisle, to taste
- First make the salad dressing by mixing all dressing ingredients together in a cup. Do a quick taste-test (look for a balance of salty, sour, sweet, and spicy). Add a little more sugar if too sour, or a little more lime juice if too salty.
- To clean the roses: Fill a bowl or pot with cool, soapy water (you can use vegetable wash or a drop or two of dish soap). Plunge the head of the first rose into the soapy water and gently swish around. Then rinse under the tap (use cool or cold water), and gently shake to dry. Repeat with the second rose.
- Now peel off the rose petals, starting from the outside of the rose and working toward the center. If your roses are very large, you may not need all the petals (3/4 to 1 loose cup is enough).
- To cut the star fruit, see: How to Prepare Star Fruit.. Include about half the star fruit in the salad - save the rest for eating or juicing.
- Place all salad ingredients - except the rose petals - in a large bowl. Stir the salad dressing and pour it over, then toss.
- Now add 3/4 of the rose petals and gently toss or fold in.
- Place salad on a serving platter, or in individual salad bowls. Top with the last of the rose petals, add a star fruit slice, and then sit back and ENJOY this beautiful Thai salad!