Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- SERVES 4 (or more)
- 1 package frozen round dumpling wrappers (or substitute regular wonton wrappers)
- 1 banana leaf for steaming (available frozen at most Asian/Chinese food stores)
- 3 cups sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup cubed medium-firm tofu (about 2/3 package)
- 1 thumb-size piece galangal OR ginger, sliced
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves and stems, chopped
- 1/4 tsp. white pepper
- 3 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 tsp. chili sauce (or more if you want them spicy)
- 1/4 cup vegetarian simulated chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- Remove dumpling wraps and banana leaf from freezer. Allow banana leaf to thaw at least 30 minutes. The dumpling wraps will need at least 2 hours before using.
- Prepare a steamer by lining it with 1 or two layers of banana leaf (to keep dumplings from sticking). I used a traditional bamboo steamer set over a pot of boiling water, but you could also use a colander with a tight-fitting lid.
- Place all Filling Ingredients together in a food processor or large chopper and blitz to create the mushroom-tofu filling.
- Lay 6 dumpling wrappers out at once over a clean working surface. Also have ready a small bowl of water for sealing the dumplings.
- Spoon a little of the filling in the middle of each wrapper (about 1 tsp.). Then dip your fingers (or a pastry brush) in the water and moisten all around the outside of the wrapper.
- Bring the sides of the wrapper up over the filling and press together to seal. If it doesn't seal, moisten the edges with a little more water.
- Pinch along the seal to create a decorative edge (see picture).
- Set the finished dumplings on a plate dusted with corn starch or flour. Steam the dumplings right away, or cover and refrigerate up to 3 hours.
- To steam, place the dumplings in the banana leaf-lined steamer (they can be touching) and steam over high heat for 15 to 20 minutes (mushrooms need to be well cooked).
- Serve with soy sauce and Nam Prik Pao Chili Sauce and ENJOY!
Make-Ahead Instructions: If serving company, I recommend steaming the dumplings ahead of time. Then cover and place in the refrigerator. When your company arrives, re-steam on high heat for 5 minutes and serve. Leftover cooked dumplings can also be frozen. Thaw before cooking, then steam and serve. ENJOY!